NOAA Silver Spring Metro Complex (SSMC3)
Room 01215 (before entering the security gate, to the right)
- Broaden engagements with NOAA’s line offices to increase student training and research opportunities.
- Advance interdisciplinary research collaborations with NOAA.
- Advance opportunities to increase student hires to NOAA positions.
- Identification of new research opportunities with NOAA for faculty and students.
- Development of research and training ideas for robust interdisciplinary research among the partner institutions with NOAA.
- Cultivation of ideas for the development of strategies to ensure students take advantage of NOAA direct hire opportunities.
9:30 – 10:00 AM Check-In
10:00 – 10:10 AM Welcome, Introductions, Review of Agenda – NCAS-M Director
10:10 – 10:20 AM Remarks from NOAA Office of Education – Christos Michalopoulos, Deputy Director, NOAA Director of Education
10:20 – 10:30 AM Remarks from NCAS-M Technical Monitor – Stephan Smith, Director, NWS Office of Science and Technology Integration
10:30 – 10:40 AM Remarks from NCAS-M Technical Advisor – Jason Tuell, Director, NWS Eastern Region
10:40 – 11:00 AM NOAA’s Weather Program Office, Dorothy Koch, Director, NOAA/WPO
11:00 – 11:10 AM Remarks from EPP Program Officers – Jacqueline Rousseau
11:10 – 11:20 AM BREAK
11:20 – 11:40 AM Michael Morgan, Assistant Secretary of Commerce for Environmental Observation and Prediction
11:40 – 12:00 PM Discussion with NOAA Leadership
12:00 – 1:00 PM Lunch
1:00 – 1:30 PM Exploring Interdisciplinary Research with SBE Opportunities at NOAA – Cassandra Shivers-Williams, NOAA Weather Program Office Social Science Deputy Program Manager, and Ji Sun Lee, NWS Social, Behavioral, and Economic Sciences Program Director
1:30 – 2:00 PM How to Increase the Use of the Direct Hire and Other Opportunities? – Sen Chiao and Shadya Sanders, NCAS-M
2:00 – 3:00 PM Open Discussion on How to Maximize Research and Training Opportunities with NOAA
3:00 – 3:30 PM Getting the Word Out! Maximizing Student Recruitment and Advertising of Accomplishments – Tia Tyree, NCAS-M Communication Manager
3:30 – 3:50 PM Subcontracts, invoicing and sub-compliance – Kemorine Wallace, Contracts Negotiation Specialist, Office of Research, Howard University
3:50 – 4:00 PM Break
4:00 – 4:30 PM Moving Forward: Identifying Goals and Objectives for the Next Fiscal Year?
4:30 – 5:00 PM Review of Calendar, Summary, and Adjournment